It literally kills me to post this manuscript, but I have to be objective and unbiased. The answer is YES... Tom Brady skills as an elite Quarterback are starting to diminish. The New England Patriots are 3-3 on the season with all three loses totaling four points. I understand the Patriots record could easily be 6-0. The changes made in the off-season to improve the league's 2nd worst defense has not shown as much progress as anticipated. The secondary is still the worst in the NFL, giving up a large number explosive plays in the pass game. The Patriots are still having issues generating a decent pass rush, with the exception of rookie Chandler Jones. If the defensive line could rush the Quarterback the cornerbacks can stay with their assignment and not allow receivers to break routes. The defense is getting a large amount of blame because they should be able to make crucial stops at the end of games. I on the other hand, refuse to exclude the offense of any blame. In my opinion, I place most of the blame on Tom Brady. Brady has not looked the same since he came back from his season ending knee injury in 2008. He looks uncomfortable when he stands in the pocket. I have noticed the way he's constantly moving around and ducking when pressure isn't there. The throws he make aren't as crisp as they use to be. He has definitely lost some of his accuracy. The most disappointing flaw I have noticed in Brady's game is his lack of a "killer instinct". The last game I saw Tom Brady actually drive the team down and win was last season's week six game against the Dallas Cowboys. Brady drove the team down on an 88 yard drive and capped if off with a 6 yard TD to Aaron Hernandez. That was the way Tom Brady use to be. I have no idea what happened to the guy teams feared giving the ball to at the end of games. The Patriots had opportunities to close every game they lost this season but failed to do so. It all boils down to Tom Brady and the offense not having the mental makeup to have an "killer instinct". The old Tom Brady cherished those moments of closing teams out and driving his team down the field for the win. I'm just not seeing that guy anymore and I truly don't know if the NFL will see that elite caliber play from him consistently again.
This is Brady being heckled by Seahawks DB Richard Sherman after a game of trash talking with each other. The old Brady would have backed it up with a win. The old Brady wouldn't have this pitiful look on his face.

No comments:
Post a Comment